UPSI Digital Repository (UDRep)
|Abstract : Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris|
|The intention of formative assessment tools usage is mainly to assess learning outcomes easily and quickly in a classroom environment. However, the tools need to be accurate and informative for teachers and students. At the end of any learning process, students certainly need to know their level of understanding in the learning process and what are the next steps for them to encounter. However, with increasing numbers of students in a classroom and increasing teaching workload among teachers, the teachers can gain benefits from these tools in assessing the outcomes quickly and more effectively. Formative assessment contributes to the learning process by providing the teachers with feedback on how successful the teaching method is and how well the students understand a particular lesson. This article will discuss the usage of formative assessment tools in education. It describes and reviews several kinds of literature related to alternative ways to assess students using technology transform assessment in the teaching process. The reviews use a comparison technique using twelve-criteria of technology transform assessment using three formative assessment tools available in the market. It is believed that technology transform assessment can bring an enjoyable and engaging assessment environment in the classroom.
1. Al-Hunaiyyan, A., Al-Sharhan, S., & Alhajri, R. (2017). A New Mobile Learning Model in the Context of the Smart Classrooms Environment: A Holistic Approach. International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies (IJIM). https://doi.org/10.3991/ijim.v11i3.6186
2. Amornchewin, R. (2018). The Development of SQL Language Skills in Data Definition and Data Manipulation Languages Using Exercises with Quizizz for Students’ Learning Engagement. IJIE (Indonesian Journal of Informatics Education). https://doi.org/10.20961/ijie.v2i2.24430
3. Balta, N., & Tzafilkou, K. (2019). Using Socrative software for instant formative feedback in physics courses. Education and Information Technologies. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-018-9773-8
4. Bicen, H., & Kocakoyun, S. (2018). Perceptions of students for gamification approach: Kahoot as a case study. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v13i02.7467
5. Bolden, D. C., Hurt, J. W., & Richardson, M. K. (2017). Implementing Digital Tools to Support Student Questioning Abilities: A Collaborative Action Research Report. I.e.: Inquiry in Education.
6. Countryman, A. M. (2017). Adopting teaching strategies to accommodate different learning styles. NACTA Journal.
7. Guarascio, A. J., Nemecek, B. D., & Zimmerman, D. E. (2017). Evaluation of students’ perceptions of the Socrative application versus a traditional student response system and its impact on classroom engagement. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cptl.2017.05.011
8. Hamel, P., Chaplin-Kramer, R., Sim, S., & Mueller, C. (2015). A new approach to modeling the sediment retention service (InVEST 3.0): Case study of the Cape Fear catchment, North Carolina, USA. Science of the Total Environment. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.04.027
9. Heck, A., Cuypers, H., van de Vrie, E., Tempelaar, D. T., & van der Kooij, H. (2013). Formative assessment and learning analytics. https://doi.org/10.1145/2460296.2460337
10. Hopkins, R. F., Lyle, K. B., Hieb, J. L., & Ralston, P. A. S. (2016). Spaced Retrieval Practice Increases College Students’ Short- and Long-Term Retention of Mathematics Knowledge. Educational Psychology Review. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10648-015-9349
11. Hunter Ball, B., Klein, K. N., & Brewer, G. A. (2014). Processing fluency mediates the influence of perceptual information on monitoring learning of educationally relevant materials. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied. https://doi.org/10.1037/xap0000023
12. Ismail, M. A.-A., & Mohammad, J. A.-M. (2017). Kahoot: A Promising Tool for Formative Assessment in Medical Education. Education in Medicine Journal. https://doi.org/10.21315/eimj2017.9.2.2
13. smail, N. A., & Ahmad, Z. (2016). Keberkesanan Penggunaan Quizlet dan Kahoot IT dalam Memperkasakan Pengajaran Guru dan Memperkaya Pembelajaran Murid. Seminar Bahasa Melayu.
14. Iwamoto, D. H., Hargis, J., Taitano, E. J., & Vuong, K. (2017). Analyzing the efficacy of the testing effect using Kahoot??? on student performance. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education. https://doi.org/10.17718/tojde.306561
15. Kahl, S. (2005), Where in the world are formative tests? Right under your nose! Education Week, 25, 38.
16. Kahoot (2014) How is it Different to Other Classroom Response System. Available at: https://getkahoot.com/ (Accessed: 17 February 2015).
17. Looney, J. (Ed.). (2005). Formative assessment: improving learning in secondary classrooms. Paris, France: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.
18. Lim, W. N. (2017). Improving student engagement in higher education through mobile-based interactive teaching model using socrative. In IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference, EDUCON. https://doi.org/10.1109/EDUCON.2017.7942879
19. Littrell-Baez, M. K., Friend, A., Caccamise, D., & Okochi, C. (2015). Using retrieval practice and metacognitive skills to improve content learning. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy. https://doi.org/10.1002/jaal.420
29. Maher, M. J., & Maher, M. J. (2018). Qualitative methodology. In Racism and Cultural Diversity. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429479380-42
21. Maizatul, H.M.Y & Ummu, H.A. (2018). Pembelajaran Teradun: Trend, Isu dan Amalan. Tanjong Malim: Pejabat Karang Mengarang.
22. Mei, S. Y., Ju, S. Y., & Adam, Z. (2018). Implementing Quizizz as Game Based Learning in the Arabic Classroom. European Journal of Social Sciences Education and Research. https://doi.org/10.26417/ejser.v12i1.p208-212
23. Messina, L., & Tabone, S. (2012). Integrating Technology into Instructional Practices Focusing on Teacher Knowledge. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.05.241
24. Moreillon, J. (2015). Increasing Interactivity in the Online Learning Environment: Using Digital Tools to Support Students in Socially Constructed Meaning-Making. TechTrends. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11528-015-0851-0
25. Naeve A. (2013) ‘Technology Enhanced Learning’, International Journal of Technology Enhanced learning. 33(3), pp. 5-6.
26. Plump, C. M., & LaRosa, J. (2017). Using Kahoot! in the Classroom to Create Engagement and Active Learning: A Game-Based Technology Solution for eLearning Novices. Management Teaching Review. https://doi.org/10.1177/2379298116689783
27. Pusparini, F., Riandi, R., & Sriyati, S. (2017). Developing Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) in Animal Physiology. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/895/1/012059
28. Rao, K., & Meo, G. (2016). Using Universal Design for Learning to Design Standards-Based Lessons. SAGE Open. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244016680688
29. Siemens, G. (2005) ‘Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age’, International Journal for Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 2(1), pp 3-10.
30. Siemens, G. and Conole, G. (2011) Special issue-Connectivism: Design and delivery of social networked learning. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 12, p3.
31. Stone, E. M. (2014). Guiding students to develop an understanding of scientific inquiry: A science skills approach to instruction and assessment. CBE Life Sciences Education.
32. We Are Human (2015) Kahoot, a design-led, web-based educational platform. Available at: http://www.wearehuman.cc/ (Accessed: 19 February 2015).
33. Wilson, M. (2015) Case Study Research Design. Available at: https://explorable.com/casestudy-research-design (Accessed: 22 February 2015).
34. Wisker G., (2008). The postgraduate Research handbook. 2nd Ed. Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.
35. Zhao, F. (2019). Using Quizizz to Integrate Fun Multiplayer Activity in the Accounting Classroom. International Journal of Higher Education. https://doi.org/10.5430/ijhe.v8n1p37
|This material may be protected under Copyright Act which governs the making of photocopies or reproductions of copyrighted materials.|
You may use the digitized material for private study, scholarship, or research.