UPSI Digital Repository (UDRep)
|Abstract : Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris|
|This paper focuses on the theory and concept of Professional Learning Community (PLC/KPP) and its strategies on students’ achievement in public university and institutes of teacher education. Professional Learning Community has specific strategies to improve student achievement. PLC refers to the education institution’s culture that encourages continuous learning among educators in their institutions. The teaching culture is not considered as an individual’s job but it is more about obtaining criticism and performing improvements. Lecturers play an important role in ensuring that their students’ future is brighter and more outstanding. Thus, the effective strategies are: to emphasise a lecturer’s skills and knowledge, build quality relationships, arrange a very focused program, mobilise existing resources, and develop a shared leadership. Methodology: The understanding of PLC concepts and all related theories is derived from in-depth reading through primary sources, which are articles and journals. Through content analysis, the researcher explored types of strategies used in the implementation of PLC in higher institutions from previous studies. Main Findings: Consequently, Professional Learning Community (PLC) is a professional development program that has proven to be very successful abroad and become more popular in most countries. There are five Professional Learning Community (PLC) strategies: reflective dialogue, shared practice, collective focus on student learning, collaboration and shared norms. Applications of this study: In a nutshell, PLC could be one of the best models to help lecturers or educators improve their professionalism, whereby, clear ideas, concepts and efficient strategies will support educators with learning improvement as well as students’ achievement. |
1. Absha Atiah, A.B., & Mohd Isa, H. (2019). Professional Learning Community Practices In Improving Self-Efficacy Of Elementary School Islamic Education Teachers at Melaka Tengah, Melaka. International Journal of Education and Pedagogy, 1(1), 38-49.
2. Astuto, T.A., Clark, D.L., Read, A.M., McGree, K., & de Fernandez, L.K.P. (1993). Challenges To Dominant Assumptions Controlling Educational Reform. Andover, MA: Regional Laboratory for the Educational Improvement of the Northeast and Islands.
3. Aziah, I., Loh, H. Y., & Abdul Ghani, K. A. (2015). Professional Learning Community And Self-Efficacy Among The High School Teachers In Penang, Malaysia. Journal of Leadership Education, 2(1), 1–12.
4. Badrul Hisham, A., & Mohd. Nasaruddin, B. (2015). Self-Assessment of 21st Century Teaching and Learning Practices. In Research Seminar, At Keningau, Sabah.
5. Badrul Hisham, A., & Mohd. Nasaruddin, B. (2016). Teachers Practitioners of the 21st Century in Teacher Education Institute, Ipoh Campus, Perak. Journal of Research Dedication, 10, 1–25.
6. Bakar, D. M. A. B. A., & Abdul Rasid, J. (2016). Implementation of a Professional Learning Community (PLC) For Enhancing Malay Language Teacher Teaching Skill Writing Essays. JuKu: Asia Pacific Curriculum & Teaching Journal, 4(3), 1–10.
7. Bolam, R., McMahon, A, Stoll, L., Thomas, S., Wallace, M., Greenwood, A., Hawkey, K., Ingram, M., Atkinson, A., & Smith, M. (2015). Creating And Sustaining Effective Professional Learning Communities. UK: University of Bristol.
8. Botha, E.M. (2012). Turning The Tide: Creating Professional Learning Communities (PLC) To Improve Teaching Practice And Learning In South African Public Schools. Africa Education Review, 9(2), 395–411.
9. Chauraya, M., & Brodie, K. (2017). Learning In Professional Learning Communities: Shifts In Mathematics Teachers’ Practices. African Journal of Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 21(3), 223–233.
10. Dehdary, N. (2017). A Look into a professional learning community. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 8(4), 645.
11. Dima Mazlina@Siti Aisahah, A.B. (2015). Impact of Implementation of Professional Learning Communities (PLC) on Teacher Improvement of Teaching Malay Language Writing. (Doctoral Thesis), Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang.
12. DuFour R, E.R. (1998). Professional Learning Communities At Work: Best Practices For Enhancing Student Achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
13. Dufour, R. (2004). What Is A “Professional Learning Community”? Big Idea # 1?: Ensuring That Students Learn. Educational Leadership, 61(8), 1–6.
14. Ezwafahmey, A. K. (2018). Level of Preparation of Excellent Malay Language in the Implementation of Professional Learning Communities in Secondary Schools in Malacca. Malay Language Education Journal, 8(2), 63–73.
15. Hord, S.M (2004). Professional Learning Communities: An Overview. In S. Hord (Ed), Learning Together, Leading Together: Changing Schools Through Professional Learning Communities. New York: Teachers College Press.
16. Hord, S.M. (1997). Professional Learning Communities: Communities Of Continuous Inquiry And Improvement. Austin, Texas: Southwest Educational Development Laboratory.
17. Hord, S.M. (2003). Professional Learning Communities: Communities Of Continuous Inquiry And Improvement. Reprint from 1997 version. Austin, Texas: Southwest Educational Development Laboratory.
18. Hord, S.M. (2008). Evolution Of The Professional Learning Community. Journal of Staff Development, 29(3), 10-13.
19. Intanam, N., & Wongwanich, S. (2014). An Application Of The Professional Learning Community Approach To Developing The Learning Process And Enhancing Academic Achievement In The Mathematics And Science Teaching Of The Primary School Student. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 131, 476–483.
20. Ismail, A., Ghani, A., & Abdullah, K. (2014). Professional Learning Community Practices In High And Low Performing Schools In Malaysia. International Jurnal of Current Research and Academic Review, 2(9), 159–164.
21. Jones, L., Stall, G., & Yarbrough, D. (2013). The Importance Of Professional Learning Communities For School Improvement. Creative Education, 4(5), 357–361.
22. Marzuki, M.A. (2013). The Practice Of Islamic Leadership Of Principals And Their Relevance To The Attributes Of The Professional Learning Community. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
23. Musimartin ,S. (2014). Practice Of The Professional Learning Community (PLC) For Three Primary School Performance Categories. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
24. Nor Asma Sheirnawani, A. R., Mohd Asri, M. N., Rohaila, Y., & Hamidah, Y. (2015). Validity Of Teacher Leadership Practice Model. Asia Pacific Curriculum & Teaching Journal, 3(2), 1–12.
25. OLAOYE, C. O., ADEDEJI, A. Q., & AYENI-AGBAJE, R. A. (2018). Commercial Bank Lending to Small and Medium Scale Enterprises and Nigeria Economy. Journal of Accounting, Business and Finance Research, 4(2), 49-55.
26. Olowa, O. W. (2018). Determinants of Rural Residential Solid Waste Collection Services in Lagos State. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Policy, 7(1), 1-7.
27. Omae, D. O., Onderi, P. O., Mokogi, H. M., Bantu, E., Barongo, S., Miroro, R. S., & Evans, M. N. (2016). Factors Affecting the Utilisation of Time as a Selected Teaching/Learning Resource in Public Day Secondary Schools in Nyacheki Division, Kisii County, Kenya. American Journal of Education and Learning, 1(1), 16-24.
28. Osman, Z., & Sentosa, I. (2013). Mediating effect of customer satisfaction on service quality and customer loyalty relationship in Malaysian rural tourism. International Journal of Economics Business and Management Studies, 2(1), 25-37.
29. Promsri, C. (2018). The Influence of External Locus of Control on Life Stress: Evidence from Graduate Students in Thailand. International Journal of Social Sciences Perspectives, 3(1), 38-41.
30. Ratts, R.F., Pate, J.L., Archibald, J.G., Andrews, S.P., Ballard, C.C., & Lowney, K.S. (2015). The Influence Of Professional Learning Communities On Student Achievement In Elementary Schools. Journal of Education & Social Policy, 2(4), 51–59.
31. Roslizam, H., Jamilah, A., & Yusof, B. (2018). Professional Learning Community in Malaysia. International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 7(3.30), 433.
32. Siti Nafsiah, I., Zuraidah, A., Abdul Jalil, O., & Salwati, S. (2018). Community Practice for Professional Learning Among Malay Language Teachers in Selangor. Journal of Educational Leadership, 5(4), 1-19.
33. Smith, K.L. (2010). The Relationship Between Professional Learning Communities And Student Achievement. Walden University: ProQuest Dissertations and Theses.
34. Tan, J.P.L, Choo, S., Kang, T., & Liem, G.A. (2017). Educating For Twenty-First Century Competencies And Future-Ready Learners: Research Perspectives From Singapore. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 37(4), 425-436.
35. Wilson, A. (2016). From Professional Practice To Practical Leader: Teacher Leadership In Professional Learning Communities. International Journal of Teaching Leadership, 7(2), 45–62.
36. Zuraidah, A., & Muhammad Faizal, A.G. (2014). Professional Learning Community In Secondary Schools Community In Malaysia. Journal of Education and Learning, 8(3), 227-248
|This material may be protected under Copyright Act which governs the making of photocopies or reproductions of copyrighted materials.|
You may use the digitized material for private study, scholarship, or research.