UPSI Digital Repository (UDRep)
|Abstract : Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris|
|The paper examines the mediation impact of employee loyalty in the relationship of employee ownership and financial performance of state-owned entities of Pakistan. Employee ownership is measured as percentage holding in state-owned entities, and financial performance is assessed trough profitability ratios; net profit margin and return on assets. Employee loyalty is determined through questionnaire circulated among the employees covered under the scheme. Meanwhile, secondary data is collected from already published sources. The study reveals that employee loyalty partially mediates the impact of employee ownership on the financial performance, which will support the policy makers to design corporate policies|
1. Akerlof, G. (1982). Labour contracts as partial gift exchange. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 97(4): 543–69.
2. Baron, J. N. (2013). Empathy wages? Gratitude and gift exchange in employment relationships. Research in Organizational Behavior, 33: 113–34.
3. Beatty, A. (1995). The Cash Flow and Informational Effects of ESOP. Journal of Financial Economics, 38(2): 211–40.
4. Benartzi, S., Thaler, R., Utkus, S. and Sunstein, C. (2007). The Law and Economics of Company Stock in 401(k) Plans. Journal of Law and Economics, 50(1): 45–79.
5. Blasi, Conte, M. and Kruse, D. (1996). Employee stock ownership and corporate performance among public companies. ILR Review, 50(1): 60–79.
6. Blasi, Freeman, R. B. and Kruse, D. L. (2013). The citizen’s share, Putting ownership back into democracy. Yale University Press: New Haven, CT.
7. Bryson, A. and Freeman, R. (2014). Employee Stock Purchase Plans, Gift or Incentive? Evidence from a Multinational Corporation (IZA Discussion Paper, No. 8537). Available: http://ftp.iza.org/dp8537.pdf
8. Chaplinsky, S. and Niehaus, G. (1994). The Role of ESOPs in Takeover Contests. Journal of Finance, 49(4): 1451–70.
9. Cohen, L. (2009). Loyalty-Based Portfolio choice. Review of Financial Studies, 22(3): 1213–45.
10. Conte, M., Blasi, J., Kruse, D. and Jampani, R. (1996). Financial Returns of Public ESOP Companies, Investors Effects vs. Manager Effects. Financial Analyst Journal, 52(4): 51–61.
11. Dube, A. and Freeman, R. B. (2010). Complementarily of shared compensation and decisionmaking systems, Evidence from the American labor market. D. L. Kruse, R. B. Freeman, & J. R. Blasi Eds., Shared capitalism at Work, Employee Ownership, Profit and Gain Sharing, And Broad-based Stock Options. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL.
12. Freeman (2007). Effects of ESOP adoption and employee ownership, 30 years of research and experience (Working Paper No. 07-01). Philadelphia, PA, University of Pennsylvania. Available: www.aeoa.org.au/docs/0024/ESOPs%2030%20 years%20of%20research.pdf
13. Freeman, Kruse, D. and Blasi, J. (2010b). Worker responses to shirking under shared capitalism. D. L. Kruse, R. B. Freeman, & J. R. Blasi Eds., Shared capitalism at work, Employee ownership, Profit and gain sharing, And broad-based stock options. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL.
14. Hashi, I. and Hashani, A. (2014). Determinants of financial participation in the EU, Employers‟ and employees‟ perspective. Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms, 14: 187–215.
15. Huberman, G. (2001). Familiarity Breeds Investment. Review of Financial Studies, 14(3): 659–80.
16. Javed, T. (2017). Impact of employee ownership on organizational performance, A mediating role of employee satisfaction. Business Management Review, 13(2): 49-60.
17. Javed, T. (2018a). Impact of employee ownership on an organizational productivity, A mediating role of psychological ownership. Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, 22(2): 1-12.
18. Javed, T. (2018b). Employee ownership and financial performance of state owned entities, Mediating role of motivation. Journal of Management Information and Decision Sciences, 21(1): 1-10.
19. Kaarsemaker (2006). Employee ownership and its consequences, Synthesis-generated evidence for the effects of employee ownership and gaps in the research literature. University of York: York.
20. Kaarsemaker, Pendleton, A. and Poutsma, E. (2009). Employee share ownership plans, A review. University of York: York. http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/8883/
21. Kaarsemaker, Pendleton, A. and Poutsma, E. (2010). Employee share ownership plans, A review. A. Wilkinson, M. Marchington, P. Gollan, & D. Lewin Eds., Oxford Handbook of Participation in Organisations. Oxford University Press: Oxford. 315–17.
22. Klein, K. (1987). Employee stock ownership and employee attitudes, A test of three models. Journal of Applied Psychology, 72(2): 319–32.
23. Knyght, P., Kouzmin, A., Kakabadse, N. and Kakabadse, A. (2010). Auditing employee ownership in a neo-liberal world. Management Decision, 48(8): 1304–23.
24. Kruse, D., Blasi, J. and Park, R. (2010). Shared capitalism in the U.S. economy, Prevalence, Characteristics, And employee views of financial participation in enterprises. D. Kruse, R. Freeman, & J. Blasi Eds., Shared capitalism at work, Employee ownership, Profit and gain sharing, And broad-based stock options. University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL.
25. Landau, I., Mitchell, R., O‟Connell, A. and Ramsey, I. (2007). Employee share ownership, A review of the literature. Employee Share Ownership Project, Melbourne Law School. The University of Melbourne: Australia. http://cclsr.law.unimelb.edu.au/files/Employee_Share_Ownership__a_Review_of_the_Literature1.pdf
26. Long, R. (1982). Worker ownership and job attitudes, A field study. Industrial Relations, 21(2): 196–215. McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T. (2010). Can employee share-ownership improve employee attitudes and behavior? Employee Relations, 32(4): 382–95.
27. McConville, D., Arnold, J. and Smith, A. (2016). Employee share ownership, Psychological ownership, And work attitudes and behaviors, A phenomenological analysis. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 89(3):634–55.
28. O‟Boyle, E. H., Patel, P. C. and Gonzalez-Mulé, E. (2016). Employee Ownership and Firm Performance, A MetaAnalysis. Human Resource Management Journal, 26(4): 425–48.
29. Pagano, M. and Volpin, P. (2005). Workers, Managers, And Corporate Control. Journal of Finance, 60(2): 841–68.
30. Park, S. and Song, M. (1995). Employee stock ownership plans, Firm performance and monitoring by outside block holders. Financial Management, 24(4): 52–65.
31. Pendleton, A. (2001). Employee ownership, Participation and governance. A study of ESOPs in the UK. Routledge: London.
32. Pendleton, A. (2010). Employee participation in employee share ownership, An evaluation of the factors associated with participation and contributions in Save as You Earn Plans. British Journal of Management, 21(2): 555 – 70.
33. Pendleton, A. and Robinson, A. (2010). Employee stock ownership, Involvement, And productivity, An interactionbased approach. ILR Review, 64(1): 3–29.
34. Sengupta, S., Whitfield, K. and McNabb, B. (2007). Employee share ownership and performance, Golden path or golden handcuffs? International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18(8): 1507–38.
35. Sesil, J., Kroumova, M., Blasi, J. and Kruse, D. (2002). Broad-based employee stock options in us „new economy‟ firms. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 40(2): 273–94.
36. Starnes, J. B., Truhon, A. S. and McCarthy, V. (2006). A premier on organizational commitment. ASQ, USA.
37. Vroom, V. (1964). Work and motivation. Wiley: New York, NY.
38. Weitzman, M. (1984). The share economy, Conquering stagflation. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, MA
|This material may be protected under Copyright Act which governs the making of photocopies or reproductions of copyrighted materials.|
You may use the digitized material for private study, scholarship, or research.