UPSI Digital Repository (UDRep)
|Abstract : Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris|
|Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) acts as a coating material for a magnesium-layered hydroxide-3-(4-methoxyphenyl)propionate (MLH-MPP) nanocomposite via spontaneous selfassembly. The resulting product is called a magnesium-layered hydroxide-3-(4-methoxyphenyl)pro pionate/carboxymethylcellulose (MLH-MPP/CMC) nanocomposite. The XRD pattern of the MLH-MPP/CMC nanocomposite showed that MPP was maintained in the interlayers of the MLH, thus confirming that CMC is only deposited on the surface of the MLH-MPP nanocomposite. These findings were also supported by FTIR spectra, SEM and TEM. TGA data showed that the thermal stability of the intercalated MPP was significantly enhanced compared to pure MPP and uncoated nanocomposite. The release of MPP from the interlayers of MLH-MPP/CMC nanocomposite showed slower release than did uncoated nanocomposite and followed pseudo– second-order kinetics. Since the herbicide, MPP was released from the synthesised nanocomposite|
1. Abdul Latip, A.F., Hussein, M.Z., Stanslas, J., Wong, C.C., Adnan, R., Latip, A.F.A., Hussein, M.Z., Stanslas, J., Wong, C.C., Adnan, R., Abdul Latip, A.F., Hussein, M.Z., Stanslas, J., Wong, C.C., Adnan, R., Latip, A.F.A., Hussein, M.Z., Stanslas, J., Wong, C.C., Adnan, R., 2013. Release behavior and toxicity profiles towards A549 cell lines of ciprofloxacin from its layered zinc hydroxide intercalation compound. Chem. Cent. J. 7, 1–11.
2. Akelah, A., 1996. Novel utilizations of conventional agrochemicals by controlled release formulations. Mater. Sci. Eng. C 4, 83–98.
3. Al-Badaii, F., Shuhaimi-Othman, M., Gasim, M.B., 2013. Water quality assessment of the semenyih river, selangor, malaysia. J.Chem. 2013, 1–10.
4. Alves, N.M., Mano, J.F., 2008. Chitosan derivatives obtained by chemical modifications for biomedical and environmental applications. Int. J. Biol. Macromol. 43, 401–414.
5. Ambrogi, V., Fardella, G., Grandolini, G., Perioli, L., 2001. Intercalation compounds of hydrotalcite-like anionic clays with antiinflammatory agents — I. Intercalation and in vitro release of ibuprofen. Int. J. Pharmaceutics 220, 23–32.
6. Barahuie, F., Hussein, M.Z., Fakurazi, S., Zainal, Z., 2014. Development of drug delivery systems based on layered hydroxides for nanomedicine. Int. J. Mol. Sci. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15057750.
7. Barkhordari, S., Yadollahi, M., Namazi, H., 2014. pH sensitive nanocomposite hydrogel beads based on carboxymethyl cellulose/layered double hydroxide as drug delivery systems. J. Polym. Res. 21, 454.
8. Bashi, A.M., Hussein, M.Z., Zainal, Z., Tichit, D., 2013. Synthesis and controlled release properties of 2,4-dichlorophenoxy acetate-zinc layered hydroxide nanohybrid. J. Solid State Chem. 203, 19–24.
9. Biswal, D.R., Singh, R.P., 2004. Characterisation of carboxymethyl cellulose and polyacrylamide graft copolymer. Carbohydr. Polym. 57, 379–387.
10. Bono, A., Ying, P.H., Yan, F.Y., Muei, C.L., Sarbatly, R., Krishnaiah, D., 2009. Synthesis and characterization of carboxymethyl cellulose from palm kernel cake. Adv. Nat. Appl. Sci. 3, 5–11.
11. Bowman-James, K., 2005. Alfred Werner revisited: the coordination chemistry of anions. Acc. Chem. Res. 38, 671–678.
12. Braterman, P.S., Xu, Z.P., Yarberry, F., 2004. Layered Double Hydroxide. In: Auerbach, S.M., Carrado, K.A., Dutta, P.K. (Eds.), Handbook of Layered Materials. Marcel Dekker Inc, New York, pp. 373–449.
13. Choi, G., Lee, J.-H., Oh, Y.-J., Choy, Y Bin, Park, M.C., Chang, H. C., Choy, J.-H., 2010. Inorganic-polymer nanohybrid carrier for delivery of a poor-soluble drug, ursodeoxycholic acid. Int. J. Pharm. 402, 117–122.
14. Darder, M., Blanco-Lopez, M., Aranda, P., Leroux, F., Ruiz-hitzky, E., 2005. Bio-nanocomposites based on layered double hydroxides. Chem. Mater. 17, 1969–1977.
15. De, S., Mohanty, S., Nayak, S.K., 2015. Structure-property relationship of layered metal oxide phosphonate/chitosan nanohybrids for transducer in biosensing device. J. Mater. Eng. Perform. 24, 114– 127.
16. Delahaye, E´ ., Eyele-Mezui, S., Diop, M., Leuvrey, C., Rabu, P.,Rogez, G., 2010. Rational synthesis of chiral layered magnets by functionalization of metal simple hydroxides with chiral and nonchiral Ni(II) Schiff base complexes. Dalt. Trans. 39, 10577–10580.
17. Dong, L., Gou, G., Jiao, L., 2013. Characterization of a dextran– coated layered double hydroxide acetylsalicylic acid delivery system and its pharmacokinetics in rabbit. Acta Pharm. Sin. B 3, 400–407.
18. Dubey, S., Jhelum, V., Patanjali, P.K., 2011. Controlled release agrochemicals formulations: a review. J. Sci. Ind. Res. (India) 70, 105–112.
19. El Sayed, A.M., El-Gamal, S., Morsi, W.M., Mohammed, G., 2015. Effect of PVA and copper oxide nanoparticles on the structural, optical, and electrical properties of carboxymethyl cellulose films. J.Mater. Sci. 50, 4717–4728.
20. Fujita, W., Awaga, K., 1997. Reversible structural transformation and drastic magnetic change in a copper hydroxides intercalation compound. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 7863, 4563–4564.
21. Gangopadhyay, R., De, A., 1999. Polypyrrole-ferric oxide conducting nanocomposites I. Synthesis and characterization. Eur. Polym. J. 35, 1985–1992.
22. Garrido-Herrera, F.J., Gonzalez-Pradas, E., Fernandez-Peres, M., 2006. Controlled release of isoproturon, imidacloprid, and cyromazine from alginatebentonite-activated carbon formulations. J. Agric. Food Chem. 54, 10053–10060.
23. Hashim, N., Hussein, M.Z., Isa, I., Kamari, A., Mohamed, A., Jaafar, A.M., Taha, H., 2014. Synthesis and controlled release of cloprop herbicides from cloprop-layered double hydroxide and clopropzinc-layered hydroxide nanocomposites. Open J. Inorg. Chem. 4,1–9.
24. Hashim, N., Misuan, N.S., Md Isa, I., Kamari, A., Mohamed, A., Bakar, S.A., Hussein, M.Z., 2016. Development of a novel nanocomposite consisting of 3-(4-methoxyphenyl)propionic acid and magnesium layered hydroxide for controlled-release formulation. J. Exp. Nanosci. 11, 776–797. https://doi.org/10.1080/17458080.2016.1171916
|This material may be protected under Copyright Act which governs the making of photocopies or reproductions of copyrighted materials.|
You may use the digitized material for private study, scholarship, or research.